- The Foreign Policy of the GDR in Africa (Cambridge University Press, 1990)
.…an exceptionally well-written, lucidly organised work with meticulous documentation…
Richard Dale, Conflict Quarterly
This is likely to remain the authoritative study of its subject
Franz Ansprenger, International Journal of African Historical Studies
- The Kurdish Question and Turkey (Frank Cass, 1997) - co-author with Kemal Kirisci
…unquestionably the single most important study to date on the intricacies and difficulties of Turkey’s Kurdish question.
Henri Barkey, Middle East Quarterly
…a scholarly, well-balanced and conceptually sound analysis of the Kurdish question in Turkey…
Michael Gunter, International Journal of Middle East Studies
- Turkey in Post-Soviet Central Asia (Chatham House, 1995)
- Dialogue with the Mediterranean: The Role of NATO’s Mediterranean Initiative (Garland, 2000)
- Turkey and the Caucasus (Chatham House, 2000)
Gareth is the recipient of two NATO Research Fellowships and a US Institute of Peace Fellowship. He is a member of Chatham House and serves on the Council of the British Association of Turkish Area Studies (BATAS).
He has participated in a number of high-level meetings including those organised by the Brookings Institution (Washington DC), the PRIO Cyprus Centre (Nicosia), the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar (Bucharest), the Bled Strategic Forum (Bled), the British-Turkish Forum (various venues), Chatham House (London), and the Royal United Services Institute (London).